Wallpapers, murals and wall coverings can help add personality to a room and transform your space. Maintenance-free after installation, your walls may even double as an artistic feature.
Here are 5 basic tips to guide you on choosing the right design, and an inspirational lineup of the best walls and interior accents. Checkout the links below for more great ideas and information.
1. Do your research. Collect images of walls you love and see if a pattern emerges. Do you love European chinoiserie? Or are you drawn towards calm, scenic images? Do you enjoy spaces with photography and bold graphics, or subtle and organic accents?
2. Consider your existing furnishings. Examine the color scheme and themes in your home. Observe the flow of space and take into consideration the view from adjoining rooms. Traditional or modern, there will be a design to further enhance your current interiors.
3. Know your purpose. Are you seeking a bold feature to add liveliness? Or do you want to achieve a calming effect with subtle tones? Decide how you want to feel when you walk into a space, and how you want your wallpaper should impact and stimulate a room.
4. Explore all of your wall covering options. Wall coverings today go far beyond traditional prints. From materials beyond paper, like grass cloth, sisal, cork and Japanese silk, to textured papers that mimic marble, wood and stone, wallpapers have evolved to suit modern needs with new technology.
5. Avoid pattern fatigue. Pattern fatigue comes down to choice of space and individual preference. However do take into consideration the amount of time spent between different rooms, and the closer proximity of certain walls in your home. If a brightly patterned wall in your frequented small bathroom will tire you out quickly, don’t choose it.
Introducing: de Gournay
de Gournay has a heritage dating back to the 17th century specializing in hand-painted wallpaper, fabrics, furniture and porcelain. de Gournay wallpapers are all handmade by skilled artisans. Old works are sold at auctions as valuable antiques. Made to order, they represent the finest in wallpaper craftsmanship and a great source of inspiration.
‘Jardinieres Citrus Trees’ wallpaper in full custom design colors on custom Mica metallic xuan paper. de Gournay hand carved Swedish Settle lounge sofa in original antique finish upholstered in Eucalyptus silk velvet.
Portman design in standard design colors on custom blue Edo painted silk.
Surface View Collection: National Galleries of Scotland. Artist: Francois – Xavier Fabre
Exostema Caribaeum’ Mural
Surface View collection: Natural History Museum. Artist: Ferdinand Bauer
Oaitepeha Bay, Tahiti’ Mural
Collection: National Maritime Museum. Artist: William Hodges
Temple Newsam design Balfour Castle Scotland
Shop the Look:
Printed wallpaper with flowering shrubs and fruit bees on a pale green background, by Surface View.
Queen Anne Wallpaper by Hygge and West
Sunflowers Mural By William Morris
Coutts’ design in part custom design colors on Dappled Gold dyed silk
Paeonia Tenuifolia Mural By Abraham Jacobus Wendle
Jewel Wallpaper by Chasing Paper. Available in 2 colors.
A Ship Scudding In A Gale Accent Mural By Willem Van De Velde, Edward Kirkall. Surface View Wallpapers.
Lovely Lattice Wallpaper by Chasing Paper. Available in red, navy, grey, and black
Plaid wallpaper by Chasing Paper. 5 colors available.
de Gournay ‘Thousand Li of Rivers and Mountains’ Wallpaper from The Emperor Collection
Seaweed Mural by William Morris
Swimming Koi by Walnut Wallpaper
Wild Thing Wallpaper by Chasing Paper $40 per panel
Wild Wallpaper by Chasing Paper $40 per panel
Daydream by Hygge and West. Available in 5 colors.